LA WEEKLY - Feb 14 - The Dating and Social Networks Startup Showcase and Digital Dating Etiquette Panel held this week in Santa Monica attracted industry professionals to pitch their startup companies, as well as a panel of experts to discuss social media startup tips and online dating etiquette. Eden Dranger and Jason Hsin pitched their app, At the Pool, a people directory where you find connections with people in your area. Hank Leber pitched his app, Gonna Be, which lets you tell users, publicly or privately, what you're "gonna be" doing anywhere from that next moment to infinity. Nick Bicanic pitched his app Flikdate, which lets users go on 90-second live chats, or "dates" using their camera phones.
- Don't be afraid to monetize early
- Don't be so busy with branding that you forget about a revenue model. Have an exit strategy.
- Have a strong emotional hook. Don't overlook potential for partnerships.
- Embrace social media, limit to a few verticals and focus on real interaction.
- Use social media to tell a story and use it to send people to a place where you onvert an audience into revenue.