TELEGRAPH.CO.UK - Mar 12 - A study of 2K men and women, commissioned by MSN, claims to have found the mathematical formula for long-lasting relationships. 25% of both men and women believe their partner should have had four sexual partners before them. Men prioritise looks over intelligence and are twice as likely as women to believe that good sex is important for a happy, enduring relationship. The resulting formula can determine how long a potential or current relationship can be expected to last.
L = 8 + .5Y - .2P + .9Hm + .3Mf + J - .3G - .5(Sm - Sf)2 + I + 1.5C
- L: The predicted length in years of the relationship
- Y: The number of years the two people knew each other before the relationship became serious
- P: The number of previous partners of both people added together
- Hm: The importance the male partner attaches to honesty in the relationship
- Mf : The importance the female attaches to money in the relationship
- J: Humour importance (added together)
- G: Good Looks Importance (added together)
- Sm and Sf: Sex Importance
- I: Having good in-laws importance (added together)
- C: Children in the relationship importance (added together)
- All 'importance' measures can be scaled from 1 to 5 where 1 is not important at all and 5 is very important.