TECHCRUNCH BLOG -- Oct 12 -- Many people prefer networks set up for people they can relate to. Just as there’s a wide diversity of gay men in the world, there may well be ample room for a variety of gay male social networking sites. These appear to be the most talked about gay male social networking sites online.
- Jake - Very British. 30,000 members. Real world events. Encourages users to advertise their own businesses and directly monetize their involvement with the site. Paid accounts are £10 per month and allow members to access the dating section and a number of other things.
- ManJam - Probably the most widely discussed. One of many similarly branded copycat sites from JuxMedia Ltd. Offers classifieds. Paid accounts are $20 per month.
- Ohlalaguys - A rebranded version of JuxMedia’s ManJam with even worse site navigation. See also Bentlads.
- Lovetastic - “Finally, gay personals that treat you like a person.” Brings together husbands. Paid accounts start at $6 per month. In some ways it’s got more class than any of them. Nude or shirtless pictures are prohibited.
- Connexion - LGBT online networking with a .org suffix. In addition to dating and events organizing the site focuses on low level political activity and news.
- OutEverywhere - A paid service for men and women in select countries around the world. Very text intensive with unbearable site navigation. An emphasis on promoting real world events and venues. Memberships are £19.95 for 6 months with a 28 free trial period.
- DList - Straightforward social networking site with a good feature set. Blogs, music player on profile pages. It’s ad supported without premium accounts.
- BigJock - Will launch its full featured version on next month. Hot or Not picture rating component. Will be free and ad supported.
Mark Brooks: Gaydar.co.uk, Manhunt.net, Adam4adam and the risque Outpersonals are leaders of the gay dating space. We'll see social networking space follow very much the same trajectory as internet dating in that it will 'niche out.' Sites like CollectiveX and Affinity Circles offer custom social networks.