OPW -- Dec 17 -- Marc Simoncini had a discussion with the host of LeWeb Conference in Paris on xyz. Here's the transcription of the interview. Below is a summary of main points.
- Meetic is now in ~22 countries
- Marc sold his previous company for 200m Euros and started Meetic in 2002
- It was a bad time to raise money so he invested half a million dollars of his own money
He chose internet dating because he
1. didn't want to have to pay for content
2. wanted to charge a subscription
3. he liked that the business is self-controlled, so the community controls the website for free
4. dating sites can be easily localized
5. wanted to have a chance to be the leader in Europe and saw that he had a chance with internet dating
6. he just loved the business of love
Meetic can compete with free sites because,"If you can choose to go and dance at the most expensive nightclub in New York and the free nightclub, which one would you choose? Probably the paying one."
- Meetic has charged half a billion Euro in 6 years
- There are more women than men in the UK on DatingDirect. It's the only country in the world where you have more women than men on a website.
- Meetic Affinity is the second largest internet dating website in France in terms of revenue just behind Meetic.