LIFESCRIPT - Feb 25 - If you’re trolling online dating sites, certain strategies work better than others. These 10 tried-and-true tips from experts and successful online daters will help you put your best foot forward.
1. Pick the right site. "Take a two-pronged approach, combining a general site with a niche site,” says Eric Resnick, founder of Profile Helper, a company that works on online dating profiles.
2. Take the compatibility test. "They’re “a wonderful little filter” to weed out men looking for casual encounters", says online dating expert Mark Brooks, editor of OnlinePersonalsWatch.com.
3. Pick an appropriate screen name. “Your screen name is your first impression,” says Cristy Stewart-Harfmann, a matchmaker and online dating profile consultant.
4. Stand out. “Your online dating profile should repel about 95% of the people who read it,” Resnick says. “But for the people who could be a good match, we want them to know it was written for them.”
5. Drop the purple prose. It’s better to show – not tell – what you’re all about.
6. Post pictures. And at least one has to be a full-body shot.
7. Set ground rules. Setting limits prevents from getting in too deep too fast and allows you to bail if there’s no chemistry.
8. Play it safe. Don’t give out personal information. Always meet first in a public place. Make sure a friend knows where you are and when you’re expected home. Do a background check.
9. Meet in person quickly. If you’re leery of meeting face to face too soon, test the waters with a video chat on Skype. Or go on a “virtual date.” PersonalQuest.com and OmniDate using this technology.
10. Complain about the weirdos.
FULL ARTICLE @ LIFESCRIPT