OPW - May 12 - I advise singles that are going out on a first date with someone they met online to do the following...
1. Let a friend know where they are going, along with the other persons name and contact info and the dating site they met them on.
2. Have the friend call in them an hour into the date. This can also help them escape the date if isn't going well.
3. Meet in a public place, not at home.
This is memorable but overly simplistic. Washington D.C.'s police department recommends the following:
- Stay sober, know your limits
- Be aware, go with your gut. We all have a sixth sense and it is usually right.
- Protect your Identity and Personal Information
- Document the Liaison
- Get a Photo
- Talk on the Phone Before Meeting
- Meet in Public
- Have an Escape Plan
- Don't Take Valuables
- Notify the Police if you are victimized