NYMAG - Oct 6 - Users choose dating apps the same way they choose bars - based on the people. The make-or-break factor in whether users stick around, is the crowd. With new apps getting launched every few months, the dating app people will like best is the one that happens to have a user base that fits the demographic of people they want.
Here's a breakdown of some of the dating apps Maureen O'Connor, a sex columnist, have experimented with:
- Tinder: Single people who hang out at bars.
- OKCupid: Single people who hang out at coffee shops.
- Match: Squares.
- JDate: Jewish squares.
- eHarmony: Christian squares.
- Ashley Madison: Horny married guys.
- Blendr: Horny single guys.
- Happn: People with nice jeans who live near your subway stop.
- Coffee Meets Bagel: Risk-averse nice guys.
- The League: Hedge funds and Hamptons.
Dating apps, like all social situations, are malleable. They're whatever people want them to be.
by Maureen O'Connor
See full article at NYMag