TECH CRUNCH - Sep 21 - Facebook getting into dating looks very much like a mid-life crisis - as a veteran social network desperately seeks a new strategy to stay relevant. Facebook is starting its dating experiment in Colombia, as its beta market. Its take on dating looks a lot more 'marriage material' than 'casual encounters'. Though products don't always pan out how their makers intend. The question is whether any sensible person should be letting Mark Zuckerberg fire cupid's arrows on their behalf? Here are just a few reasons why we think you should stay as far away from Facebook's dalliance with dating as you possibly can…
- It's yet another cynical data grab. Facebook's ad-targeting business model relies on users data to exist.
- Facebook's history of privacy hostility shows it simply can't be trusted.
- Singles already have amazingly diverse app choice.
- Facebook claims it has the algorithmic expertise but there's no algorithmic formula to determine what makes one person click with another.
- Dating takes resource and focus away from problems Facebook should actually be fixing.
- By getting involved with dating, Facebook is mixing separate social streams.