OKCUPID BLOG - Nov 9 - This year has been a wild ride for singles around the world. But through the ups and downs, people wanted to find love more than ever before. As 2020 is coming to an end, OkCupid analyzed this year's dating landscape shift to predict the dating trends for 2021.
- Thunberging - OkCupid users have answered questions about climate change ~6M times. ~2M people on OkCupid believe climate change is real.
- Advocating - In the past year, more than 340,000 people on OkCupid said they consider themselves activists - and young women are really leading this trend.
- Borderless love - Since the beginning of the pandemic, connections and conversations across borders are up ~50%. ~1.5M people on OkCupid are now open to a long-distance relationship.
- Inner-Party Dating - Cross-party dating does not work in modern relationships. In 2021, we’re going to see more people are refusing to date outside party lines.
- Selfie-Love - Since daters are stuck at home with no concert or vacation photos to upload, they are taking more selfies to keep their profiles up to date.
- Speed-Rooming - ~5M people on OkCupid said couples should live together before considering getting married.
- Slow Dating - 84% of people on OkCupid think it's important to have an emotional connection before a physical one.
- Wilder-dating - After being in lockdown for most of the year, daters will be looking to experience the great outdoors as a way to get to know their match.