OPW - Feb 1 - Maria Avgitidis is a very accomplished matchmaker out of New York. Catherine Cook Connelly is SVP Marketing & Co-Founder of The Meet Group, and an IDEA 10 Year Club member. Maria has a new podcast called 'Ask A Matchmaker' and is a first-rate interviewer. Check it out...
Here's a few notes fyi...
- Dave and Catherine were in high school when they started the origin company, myYearBook. Geoff Cook joined a little later. Three siblings.
- They renamed myYearBook to Meetme after they realised members were using it to meet new people.
- They noticed it started becoming 'flirty' so figured they'd move into dating.
- The Meet Group was acquired by Parship for $500m in 2020.
- Meetme works especially well right now, during the pandemic, as it is video-first.
- Meetme is like a friendly neighborhood bar. Livestreaming one-to-many video is the key functionality.
- What's amazing about broadcast video is you can be on the platform and automatically engage with so many people.
- Users can also watch other users on a blind date.
- Leads into a really organic and serendipitous way of meeting.
- Users can also play their own dating game. Within 2 mins they need to decide if they will date them or skip them. - 18-40 is core demographic. Largely US.
- Over 4m DAU across all apps. Over 1m streaming monthly.
- Users spend 1.1B mins a month in the app.
- A place where introverts can feel more outgoing.
- The least favorite color for someone to be wearing is yellow, on Meetme.
- Million people streaming and 8-9m viewing a month. Its more common to be a viewer.